Wednesday, July 21, 2010

decamping

The Inquirer this morning revealed the newest breed of our country's labor exports – PAG-ASA's weather forecasters. The latest is one of the agency's directors and seasoned forecasters no less, Nathaniel Cruz who got on a plane off to Australia.
(The recent typhoon Basyang claimed more than 50 lives. This was attributed to some forecasting lapses.)

A few weeks ago, I learned that a batchmate who hinted that she'll probably be the last in our class to leave this country for a work abroad has flown to Singapore, leaving her job at a giant oil company.

Both have joined the ranks of many professionals who have decided to leave native land for greener pastures. And the number just keeps on picking. I myself have always been lured.

Like most of those I know who left, I hold a 'decent' job. I work for a respected company and many would beg godfathers to get into my place. Don't get the idea that I'm a prized possession – being an analyst is an 'ordinary' job which can be easily filled in by anybody. But it is 'already' a job, if you get what I mean. So why join the bandwagon?

On a personal note, I suppose that more than the 'compensation' issue (that's a given. And don't even begin that it's-all-about-contentment-money-is-not-the-most-important-thing litany), it is about expanding your playing field. Going abroad could be about new pitches to strike and out there is a bigger triangle to catch pitched balls.

Face it: many leave because of the wobbly situation here which is often perceived as hopeless. Sad but true and I agree that the issue should not end here. I consent to taking part in national re-building (the ways of which one can easily put in a high school essay) but I disagree to the line of thinking that going abroad is unpatriotic. Seeking for greener pastures abroad is not entirely doing a great disservice to this country. Take a good look at the 12% GDP contribution of OFW remittances. Yes, the standing issue of brain drain but I cannot put the blame to those who have chosen a more practical approach to everyday domestic concerns.

Well, ok. Compensation. I guess there's nothing wrong about seeking better returns for time and effort. Even businessmen invest where they'll get higher returns out of their investments.

There, I sounded like I had just packed my bags. This is actually like putting the shoes on. Who knows, after putting the shoes on, I might catch the next flight out.

No comments:

Post a Comment