Sunday, May 5, 2013

why do you care?

(can married men lounge this relaxed and happy? lol!)
When you start hitting the big 3 and people don't see you wearing that bright and polished round thing around your ring finger, they tend to be overly concerned suddenly. Try going to your cousin's wedding and every one on the guest list will ask you the most important question of all - why are you still single, or josh the biggest tease of all time - uuyy, you will already be next! - that gets me sort of vexed all the time.

Can I cringe here already? 

You gotta believe that I am all for marriage. If two people are madly in love with each other and cannot figure their lives apart from one another, then by all means, file for a licence and go to pre-cana. But don't get me wrong: this thing is just not on top of my concerns now. Or I simply cannot do so by now because I still don't have anybody who can splay the colors and hues in my blank canvas. I just cannot marry myself, right?

I just can't seem to get why it is a matter of great distress to other people that I am actually happy and content being uncommitted right now. You see, there's a time element here - the "right now", because I'm still pretty hopeful that somebody might just turn up and turn my world upside down that will make me decide: enough of solitary bliss. Fine if cousin # 1's son will already start going to prep school in June, but it should not be your worry if my firstborn will still be in high school by the time I become the balding retiree. 

I'm happy for my ka-berks who look happy on their pre-nup and wedding photos on Facebook and wish them to sport the same smile while they are well into the married existence. I post comments how their kids look like miniatures of them. But I am also happy planning for a trip in November or saving for a DSLR to pursue the illusion that I can make art, and that I am unsurprisingly, and not abnormally content with my current state of affairs. If I may, I just think being single is way too cool because: 

You don’t fill your brain with dates (birthday, anniversary and the whole nine yards) and other details like favorites (argh!), of which the failure to recall can spark another world war; 

You don’t fight with yourself what to order for dinner - if you want baby back ribs, you get baby back ribs - and not feel guilty about gorging all the fats. You also get to save money since you spend for a single diner only;

You get to watch the movie you wanted to watch and don’t have to drag yourself watching John Lloyd and Sarah Geronimo;

You only have yourself to say if your shirt looks okay or not, or if you already need shaving or not;

You can be lazy and disgusting without anybody making that look all too bad;

You get to hang out with other people and not worry someone will get jealous. You can go to dates with anybody you want and the only regret you will have is not being able to flirt with more people than you should (you sure did not think that was me whining, eh?);

You own your time and you are your own boss (ok, ok. The boss is in the office) and you can go to places you wanted to go to any time you wanted to;

There will  be lesser stress that you have to endure and hence, I am just trying to enjoy bucket loads of freedom while they last. 


There are actually more reasons than what that video goes to list but still, the question and the tease. 

I will be going to another wedding yet again and I am trying to figure a retort that's more polite than - why do you care? You might just have the cleverest phrase. 

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. We feel the same pain! I have no idea what the best retort should be. Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete