Saturday, June 1, 2013

7 trike drivers you'll meet in your life

(image source)
I am a daily commuter. When you have lived in rural cities like Pagadian and Zamboanga (in the Philippines), where I have spent most of my working life so far, and where there are no cabs, the more comfortable means of transport is the ever reliable tricycle. At least twice a day, I entrust thirty minutes or so of my life in the hands of Manong Drayber to bring me to my destination.

Doing this routine every single day allows you to meet any of these Manongs, depending on how your stars have aligned, and you will be in for a ride of your life:

No. 1 - Manong Speedy Gonzales. I am not sure if his stomach suddenly became ill when we started hitting the road and cannot wait to go to the john. But since I’m already in the trike and he finds it rude to ask me to get another one, or maybe he knows that I will never pay him a penny if he does that, he zooms to my destination like he’s on a Carerra. Or maybe his homicidal tendencies was roused suddenly and wants to drag me with him to wherever he will be seeing that tiny flicker of light ala damay-damay na!  Manong No. 1 just don’t want to take it slow. However, this type brings out the pious in me. I tend to pray hard that I will get to my destination in one piece. Flying trikes, anyone?    

No. 2 - Manong Pastor Evangelista. Maybe the two projections on my forehead have become overgrown and visible, Manong tries put a halo to slash-and-burn them . I must behave. Amen, Manong. Just do not touch that sensitive reproach that Catholics worship stones and wood, and I will always welcome your invitation to deepen my faith. Otherwise, the projections on my head might blow up your pedicab’s roof and you might find yourself in a not-so-heaven-like ride. But the peace lover in me might just ask you to pull around the corner. I will just wait for Manong No. 1 to pass by.

No. 3 – Manong Boy Komentarista. O, he just can’t stop the blabber. This widely opinionated chatterbox will keep on talking about anyone and anything that comes to his mind, never minding that his passenger is staring blankly at a distance. At times, he competes with the noise of the road and modulates his commentaries about the elections or the frequent brownouts, and his unsolicited advice to Ai-ai in case she tries to get another man for a husband. I tried to look for the mute button somewhere, but I can’t seem to find one. Please, Manong, let us just leave Ai-ai alone.

No. 4 – Manong Silent Type. The exact opposite of Manong No. 3, this one will not utter a word even after you hand him the fare upon reaching your destination. He must be mute since he has just nodded after I told him “Tumaga”. Maybe he met Manong No. 3 and got forewarned that I am deaf or a psycho case. But thank you Manong, for giving me my peace.   

No. 5 – Manong Mike Imbestigador. He was a former NBI, I must know. Or used to be with Bombo Radyo. I surmise he is Manong No. 3’s kumpare, too. The inquisitive Manong gives you the feeling of being psycho-analyzed. Why do want to know what my favorite color is? 

No. 6 – Manong Mando Rugas. What?!? 50 pesos from Veterans to Tumaga? If I had only known that your fuel is from Jupiter hence, costs higher than the others, I must not have jumped in. I know the times are hard and prices are soaring, but Manong, many of your league charges only P30. These are the types who make the destination farther (read: they charge higher) on rainy days. Relate much?

And lastly, No. 7 – Manong Goody. These are the Manongs who are friendly and honest and generally pleasant. Fortunately, there are still many of them who do not attempt to add stress to an already taxing day. Sometimes even, you tend to shed off some of the strain while a cheery conversation ensues. These are the types you’d gladly give some tip, which, some would politely decline or profusely thank for. Yes, there can be angels in the trikies.    

While I continue to be a part of the commuting public, I must admit that these drivers and their trikes are my link to wherever I must be at a certain point in time. That without them, I might be riding horses in long sleeves under the sweltering heat of day. Often, I tend to get annoyed or flabbergasted (did I just say that "annoyed" is my other name?), but every time, I am grateful that I was delivered to my destination, whole and unharmed. And sometimes, even smiling. 

(The descriptions above are mostly propelled by the state of mind I was in at the time I took a particular Manong’s ride. This is not to malign this sector which works hard for a living - a vital service force to the society. It's just that sometimes, I forget to take anti-psychotics that I answer Manong No. 5 with “blue, my favorite color is blue, tralalala.”)

Photo used above is not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment